Interview: Howard Chambers - Senior Business Analyst for HR and People Processes
From: Joanna Flynn
Sent: 10 December 2007 16:15
To: Howard Chambers
Subject: Accessibility
Hello Howard,
I am a good friend of Joanne Haystead’s and she mentioned you deal with Accessibility at Remploy. I am studying Graphic Design for my degree and have decided to look into this subject as I believe it will eventually become law in the UK for all websites to meet certain standards.
Would you please advise what your role is and anything you may think is relevant to my course. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide me with.
Kind regards
Joanna Flynn
______________________________________________________
From: Howard Chambers
Sent: 10 December 2007 16:32
To: Joanna Flynn
Subject: RE: Accessibility
Joanna,
How lovely to hear from you, Jo mentioned you may get in touch.
As for my role, a bit of a jack of all trades I guess, I have a strong interest in adaptive technologies that help disabled users get the most our of computing, whether that be with screen reading software such as Supanova or Jaws or more physical adaptations to help user with limited dexterity.
Accessibility is becoming a key area in any website, indeed in America you are not allowed to sell a product without it meeting a minimum level of accessibility. I enclose a link to the RNIB website http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib008789.hcsp
I will pass you a few other links, one is from Salford University on web accessibility, I’ll also see if I can get a copy of the finalised report.
Regards
Howard Chambers
Senior Business Analyst for HR and People Processes
______________________________________________________
From: Joanna Flynn
Sent: 10 December 2007 16:51
To: Howard Chambers
Subject: RE: Accessibility
Hi Howard,
Thanks for replying so quickly. I appreciate your help.
I’ve already done extensive research on the internet so already feel like I have a little knowledge about accessibility from a web developer’s point of view but not really from anyone else’s! I’ve looked at various websites including RNIB, Accessibility 101, Webcredible, Colormatters etc
If you don’t mind I have a few questions already:
- Are you in contact with disabled people who need assistance purchasing equipment?
- Do you have to keep up on all the latest developments in accessibility / inclusive design etc?
- Do Remploy deal with web designers at all or purely the software required for customers?
- What kind of disabilities do you cater for?
- Do you get many requests for hand held portable equipment? This is something I’ve never accounted for before in my design process!
- Any problems you come up against in your job
- What you think the future will hold in Accessibility / Adaptive Technologies
I know there are a lot of questions there but I would really appreciate your comments! I am very passionate about making my future web site designs as accessible as possible. This has come as a surprise to me really as I have never even thought about the subject before (ignorance on my part!) but after researching I now understand how important it is, and also believe it will be a unique selling point for my web design business!!
Best regards
Joanna
______________________________________________________
From: Howard Chambers
Sent: 11 December 2007 13:56
To: Joanna Flynn
Subject: RE: Accessibility
Joanna,
1. As Remploy Primarilary employ disabled users, we have a whole range of disabilities to cater for when accessing computer systems. Visual impairment id probably the most common with screen readers and magnification software being the usual work around. Jaws, Supanova tend to be the most common, but Thunder and MS screen-reader are free options that can be used. User requests tend to come through the factory managers wanting to expand the opportunities of an employee, or Access to Work who will do an assessment and ‘suggest’ what kit should be bought.
2. I don’t keep myself up to date as much as I would like, though am copied into the ‘Ability’ magazine and have regular update on new kit from AbilityNet
3. We do have limited contact with designers, this is usually when we are looking to update our website or intranet. To be honest, I don’t think we have had a good value for money
4. All disabilities are catered for, as mentioned visual is the most common, but learning difficulties is a big one too, dexterity is another area that has become better addressed with one handed keyboards, and voice recognition software for those with little or no hand movement. Deafness, although it may not seem like an issue, is an area that is often forgot when designing websites, movie clips and talking presentations need subtitles etc..
5. Hand held portable devices are becoming more common and have come down in price alarmingly recently http://www.itex.info/sisystem/english/index.html for example. I have not had chance to pilot this but am looking to take on with prospect of buying for one of my visual impaired guys in Scotland.
6. Problems? Biggest one is ignorance if I’m honest, it’s just people don’t know what's out there to help others. I used to try and do regular road shows to departments around Remploy, but now no longer have the time, a real pity as we are not getting the most we can out of some very clever people, who just happen to have impairments that can be very easily overcome with a little thought and understanding.
7. As for the future, things are always changing, the advent of quicker processors on laptops and PC’s mean much more is now within the grasp of everyday disabled users. Voice recognition for instance is now down to around £200 and works at over 98% accuracy now that laptops have increased processing power. Retina pointing devices for those with paralysis are now on the market and with people like Stephen Hawkins, there will always be a push for expanding peoples opportunities.
I have a number of software’s loaded onto my laptop and would be happy to demo should you feel this would help you understand better. Hope some of the above info is of some help
Regards,
Howard Chambers
Wednesday, 12 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment